Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit as to the dollar amount a client can pay the Feds electronically when filing 1040 return? Specifically $700,000 plus.

Rick1725
Level 3

Is there a limit as to the dollar amount a client can pay the Feds electronically when filing 1040 return? Specifically $700,000 plus. Can we just set up the checking account info and date (as in today) and just transmit as usual? I've never been asked to ePay such a large amount before. Thanks for any feedback.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I EFiled a 4868 with 300k payment. Seemed to go through fine.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I believe you can pay up to $999,999. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don’t have that much faith in Intuit.  I would go to the IRS direct pay site for those kind of dollars.

Slava Ukraini!
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

That is very good advice

poolcleaner
Level 9

The maximum number you can pay on IRS Direct Pay is $9,999,999.99. 

Another Former All Star

poolcleaner
Level 9

By the way, if the client is trying to save money,  they could pay as little as $9,999,999.50 and it would round up to $10,000,000.

Another Former All Star

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@poolcleaner wrote:

The maximum number you can pay on IRS Direct Pay is $9,999,999.99. 

It is interesting that you know that.  Have you had clients try to pay more than that?

Is that just a per-payment limit?  Or can you do multiple payments (either per day, or spread out over multiple days)?

I WISH I had enough income that I was limited to a $9,999,999.99 tax payment.   🤣

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Right!

IRonMaN
Level 15

@poolcleaner has that amount memorized because she has to pay it in for her own return every year 😉

Slava Ukraini!
poolcleaner
Level 9

TMI