Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Proseries going to fix the 1041 return so that I don't have to override the preparer date every time?

mm1
Level 5

This is aggravating. Every Trust or Estate Form 1041 return I file I have to override the box for the preparer's date signed. You cannot enter that date as in the past and if you don't override the box and enter the date, the return will not e-file!

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive EF over a dozen 1041s in the last 3 weeks, no issues....must be something in your setup.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tcc
Level 1

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Form 8879-FID for form 541 (trust tax return) is not printed when you print the filing copy

But luckily it is printed in the client copy so I can print the client copy with sensitive data not masked so that I can get a copy that the client can sign.

Another thing:  the trust return (form 1041) has changed this week such that my trust return I did last week is now wrong.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think I might have noticed that the 8879 doesnt print along with the return, but I always print the signature pages separate anyhow, so it hasnt been an issue for me.   

But when I do print the signature pages separately, it always includes a 8879PMT as if theres a electronic payment being made, even when its zero balance due, so I know they've got some quirky programming happening.

There was an update to the CA 541 this week, I saw the files scroll past during the download...what changed?

0 Cheers
tcc
Level 1

When I open, in ProSeries 2021, a  Form1041 return that I have e-filed and had no error before.  Now if I open the same return, ProSeries 2021 specifies that there is 1 error.  The error you are seeing.  Something changed.

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

I can't figure out what it is if it is in the setup. I have updated Proseries every single day yet I still have this issue. I have filed 8 trusts at this point and every one of them will not let me enter the preparer date without overriding the date. I first assumed that Proseries was going to fill in that date but when I tried to e-file it was rejected because the date was not entered. I have no idea what is going on if it is only me with the issue. Makes no sense as I have used this software since it was Chipsoft back in the 80's with no issues ever on the Trusts. Oh well,

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Go into Tools> Options > Firm Preparer Info do you have the box marked to Print date on return? 

Thats the only place I can think of that could trigger a date error on the return.

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

Yes, I checked that first thing this year and rechecked it before I posted my question to make sure nothing had been changed possibly by staffers. I just have no clue what is going on on my Proseries software. When I have more time I will delve into all settings. Thanks for your help.

tcc
Level 1

Since you have done trust returns, I was wondering if you see this error I see.

In a simple trust, capital gains are not part of DNI. Right?

Schedule B line 3 data source is Schedule D line 19 column 1. (which is the sum of line 17 (ST gains) and 18 (LT gains) column 1 allocated to beneficiary).  Last week I finished the return but as of Friday last week, something changed in the software as of March 31st that made my completed return no longer correct.  Even if I put zero for line 18 and 17 column 1.    Schedule B line 3 (which is describe as line 19 column in Schedule D) will have the value of total capital gains (even if all the gains is allocated to the trust (line 19, col 2) and zero to the beneficiary.   Hence the schedule K-1 and  tax due is all wrong.

Do you see this behavior?  Is this right?

Is this a ProSeries bug?  It didn't behave this way as of March 31.

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

You mentioned Simple Trust.

In a simple trust all income must be distributed to the beneficiary including capital gains in the year of income. There is a 65-day rule that states that the income can be distributed within 65 days after the year end to give the fiduciary time to close the year and determine the income. But if it is a simple trust, it is not discretionary and capital gains along with all other income after expenses must be distributed to the beneficiary. At least that is my understanding of the rules. There are a few exceptions but they are rare.

0 Cheers

Please see the screenshot below from the Form 1041 instructions for Schedule B, Line 3. Also refer to the cross-reference for Schedule B, Line 3 in the ProSeries program. Consistent with the government instructions, the program will enter the greater of the total net gain from Schedule D, Line 19, column (1), OR the amount entered in the field for all capital gains attributable to income whether or not distributed.

0 Cheers
Sail
Level 2

Having this issue only with my 1041 returns.  My 1040 returns all find the Preparer ID, PTIN, etc.. perfectly.  This is for 2023's returns.

0 Cheers