Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true I cannot clone / image my hard drive to an SSD as Proseries will not work properly?

chop_wood
Level 1

IT departments have told me that my hard drive with proseries cannot be cloned to a new drive. That a fresh installation of windows and proseries is required. This is due to proseries having problems with clones and causing tons of unresolable headaches that are not even solved by completely reloading proseries. Just wanted to get feedback if this is still the case and is there any documention on this inability with proseries. I have a failing hard drive and just want to clone it to an ssd. Thanks all!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
westomatic
Level 1

Just did an image to a new ssd into a new PC. The older versions of ProSeries did not work with the older shortcut icons - I believe it was 2016-2018. 2019 worked, but is glitchy loading sometimes. 2020 - 2023 worked perfectly! 

So basically I confirm that it just doesnt work for certain years. But if you only need the past few years, go ahead and give it ago! 

Also, I can confirm Quickbooks works fine in ALL years in my experience , you just need to delete the entitlement data file. 

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

It has always been true in past. I would think since IT told you It is still true, you cannot just copy hard drive to new drive. Must be installed from your account. While your old drive is still working, you should make a backup from within program, and restore to new program when you have it installed on new drive.

qbteachmt
Level 15

There are some useful articles:

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/back-data/use-proseries-local-backup-tool/...

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/back-data/copy-back-client-files-using-pro...

The reason a program like this is installed, not copied or cloned, has to do with the types of file access and entitlement (license) confirmation processes. Installation also allows for updates to function.

This doesn't prevent them from copying over or cloning other work. You have to be selective and protect your work, always. I've never seen a problem when the program is newly installed (clean install).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I just put in a new SSD and cloned my hard drive. I had to uninstall and re-install 2023 anyway, but I left 2022 alone and it seems to work.

I haven't checked any prior years yet.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I spoke too soon. My QB 2021 is no longer working--it has error 3371, and the QB Tool Hub says it should be used on Win10, which I cannot use since I have Win11.

So what's the cure?

{Update} I used the QB Tools Hub 3371 fix, and it worked.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

QB (and these other high-rent programs) has an authorization process (checks entitlement) at startup. Your license check failed. These newer programs use databases and relational files (well, QB changed around 2006). That's why cloning doesn't always work. The same issue comes up when using Carbonite (a mirror process) as a backup vs making client backups using the program's backup function. Even Dropbox (mirror) vs Box (managed access) reveals these issues; you get "conflicted copy" with Dropbox.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
johnea
Level 3

sadly iits true they discourage all copies of their programs so transfers dont work.  wont copy the program or to your cds so u cant store prior years, they got you locked up to buy new rental agreements for each copy. aka license fees. welcome to the new desi intuit world of self security for a fee.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

On your new computer you should be able to download and install the prior years versions you have already paid for.

Ex-AllStar
chop_wood
Level 1

0 Cheers
westomatic
Level 1

Just did an image to a new ssd into a new PC. The older versions of ProSeries did not work with the older shortcut icons - I believe it was 2016-2018. 2019 worked, but is glitchy loading sometimes. 2020 - 2023 worked perfectly! 

So basically I confirm that it just doesnt work for certain years. But if you only need the past few years, go ahead and give it ago! 

Also, I can confirm Quickbooks works fine in ALL years in my experience , you just need to delete the entitlement data file.