Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is income from selling on ebay considered qualified business income

jbtax2
Level 1

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
caj111
Level 4

Sure, if a profit is made from it.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Did you just sell a couple of personal items?

Or are you selling all the time like a Business?

A couple of personal items would be "other income" if you received more than your cost, (no loss allowed). no QBI.

Selling like a Business would go on Schedule C and qualify as QBI possibly.

jbtax2
Level 1

they sold several times items such as stuffed toys and probably will continue so I reporting as business income with offset from original cost of items

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Are they also buying?  I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that selling stuff that you've been hoarding for years (or maybe inherited) is necessarily a trade or business.

Folks I know who do this sort of thing usually specialize in something they know (like maybe stuffed animals in your case) and grab every great deal they can find at thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, swap meets, etc. to resell on ebay for a profit.  Ding!  Profit motive gets you a long way toward the nebulously defined "trade or business."

Rick

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

When you say "I reporting as business income" - Does that mean you are using the Schedule C?

If they meet all of the requirements it could qualify as QBI. 

0 Cheers
jbtax2
Level 1

yes I think they are just stuff and trying to make quick money.  thank you for your response  

0 Cheers
jbtax2
Level 1

yes I am reporting it on Schedule C they received a 1099K from ebay so linked it to Schedule C

0 Cheers