Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is Form 8879 transmitted with the return or it is just held for record purposes

Getcorp
Level 3

I am trying to understand how filing tax return in Proseries Basic works.  especially what to do with form 8879- do i print it out and give it client to sign - right in my office after preparing their return and then scan and save it to my computer. how do i upload it to back to the return.  And if i choose e-signature- what are the steps

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Getcorp
Level 3

irrelevant answer. please read the question before posting a reply.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Get it signed and then just hold on to it in case the IRS comes to visit you

Slava Ukraini!
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You should download pub 1345 which has the duties and responsibility's of ERO's. Here is an excerpt from that pub:

Forms 8879 and 8878 must be available to the IRS in the same manner described above for three
years from the due date of the return or the IRS received date, whichever is later. The Submission
ID must be associated with Form 8879 and 8878:

Getcorp
Level 3

At the bottom of the form - it says ERO should not file it except IRS request for it. Hence - to answer my own question we should print it out and retain a copy for 3 years. Let me know if am right.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Yes you need to keep it three years, but you don't have to keep a printed copy, you are allowed to keep it in an electronic format

Accountant-Man
Level 13

I was audited for ERO many years ago and the guy asked for signed 8879s. In those days I kept the signed papers; now I scan them all.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Accountant-Man wrote:

I was audited for ERO many years ago and the guy asked for signed 8879s. In those days I kept the signed papers; now I scan them all.

Did you just keep them all in one pile, or did you have to go into each client's folder and retrieve them?  I remember seeing someone in here say they just kept them all in a drawer, I keep them in each client's folder, if I was ever asked to produce them in mass, it would be alot of work!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 13

The good old days, when I kept a folder with names and copies of documents in them.

Then I got smart.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm still old fashioned so the signed copy goes into the client's paper file.  If the IRS wants to see copies, they can flip through all of my client files...………. CAGMC

Slava Ukraini!