Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Additional Information Statement Transmitted When E-Filing?

The most recent thread I can find on this subject through this amazingly awful search feature was from last year and the answer given was if it is in the filing copy then it is transmitted.  But when I asked customer service that question last year, I got a definitive "not sure".  So I attached a word doc as a pdf, knowing that the attachment was transmitted.

I of course can do that again this year.  But it is easier to just do it through the program.  So does anyone know with certainty if I see it in the filing copy then it will be transmitted to IRS?

Thanks in advance.

7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

@Frustrated-in-IL 👍Yes that is what most of us believe, that whatever is printed out for filing copy, before filing , is what is sent. I guess if you want to know 100% for sure, you might have to go to the IRS center, and see what they received on their end? How else would we know for 100%? Just my opinion

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I do not believe that any additional information or regular notes about entry lines is transmitting with the return.

I can not provide any definitive source, but my understanding for several years is if you want anything additional transmitted you must use the Preparer Notes. In the 1040 module if you hit F6 to bring up the forms directory and in the upper right scroll down to MISCELLANEOUS, Part ll Miscellaneous Statements and Reports # 3 title is "Statement for Additional Information for Efiled Returns", which may imply that this is where you need to put information you want transmitted with the return.

There are no statement in the other modules that I have been able to find which provides such a hint about what transmits and what does not for those (1041, 1065, 1120S, 1120)

There is no reason at all to believe that just because you called something the "Filing Copy" that makes something part of the transmission file, as the "Filing Copy" has allows the preparer to make choices on what to include in that copy just like the "Client Copy" and "Preparer Copy".

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Jeff, if what you say is true, then what exactly is the "filing copy" other than what is filed, i.e. what is transmitted electronically?

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

The Filing Copy, is merely what THE PREPARER has selected to print as his filing copy through File>Print Options>Global Print Options>Control Which Forms Print. There is no difference in the method of the preparer in determining what prints with each copy.

Based on all the software problems, do you have real confidence that anyone who knows the real world of tax preparation at Pro Series is spending a bunch of time in determining what Pro Series decides what the defaults are in this area.?

If you scroll through the forms list that comes up through the print options above, there are not very many differences as to what prints for each copy.

I only print one copy, (I chose Filing Copy) so I have modified that copy to fit my needs, and I doubt the extra forms I print with that (Diagnostics etc.) are included in the transmission file.

I may be wrong, but I doubt that any of us will ever know what actually goes in the transmission.

PATAX
Level 15

Jeff I do like you do and only print the filing copy both for me and the client... hopefully this is what is sent but like you said who knows.

0 Cheers

Thanks for the responses.  I have decided to enter the info within the program on the Additional Information Statement and then print the statement and attach it as a pdf to the return.  I figure the worst that can happen is IRS will get same statement twice but at least I will know with certainty that they got it once.

PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome. That sounds good

0 Cheers