Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 1095 Marketplace costs deductible for the SE?

Good morning, Community, 

I'm very sorry if this is a duplicate post but I can't seem to find the original. 

In a nutshell, if my self-employed day care client purchases health insurance through the marketplace, is that deductible on Schedule 1 rather than personal itemizing? It seems from my reading that Schedule 1 is the proper way for SE health insurance premiums but I'm not sure how to make that happen and/or if purchasing through the marketplace negates that benefit? 

Also, if it matters, client is MFJ, but spouse's insurance is through Medicare. 

Thank you, and hope everyone has a marvelous day!

Dawn

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

At the bottom of the 1095A entry sheet you can link it to the Sch C.  The program will do the rest.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

At the bottom of the 1095A entry sheet you can link it to the Sch C.  The program will do the rest.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Also be aware that since 2012, the IRS has allowed self-employed individuals to deduct all Medicare premiums (including premiums for Medicare Part B – and Part A, for people who have to pay a premium for it – Medigap, Medicare Advantage plans, and Part D) from their federal taxes, and this includes Medicare premiums for their spouse.

Thank you, I did not know you could deduct the spouse's Medicare premiums, that will be fabulous for these clients.  Does that amount get put on Schedule C, line 15 rather than the Schedule 1? 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Yes schedule C line 15 in the box for self employed health insurance. Do not put any amounts from the 1095A. As Lisa said just link to schedule C on the 1095A.

Many thanks!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Health insurance premiums for this spouse of a sole proprietor do not go on Schedule C Line 15.

They go on Schedule 1 Line 17.

EDIT: I guess I misunderstood Terry. They reference a self-employed health insurance field for ProSeries,

Ex-AllStar

HI there, just checking, you would concur with Terry that Medicare premiums for a spouse are deductible through the business owner's portion of the return? But that Schedule 1 is the appropriate place to input rather than Schedule C? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

yes

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I put them on that SEHI line below Line 15 on the Sch C, Im not sure you can input direct to Sch 1.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@sjrcpa in ProSeries Pro you do not put directly on schedule 1, because there is a box to put them in on the schedule C

sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks. I don't use ProSeries and was confused.

Ex-AllStar