Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Reverses Application of New 10-Year Stretch IRA Rules

dascpa
Level 11

Apparently it's being poured over now by the "experts" but the IRS has apparently reversed its position on the 10 year IRA distribution change.  Now RMD's must be taken each year and the total by year 10.  This could cause big problems for 2020 and 2021 for those who did not take any distributions.  Just adding more crap to the other crap we deal with.

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
They need to knock it TF off with all these changes later down the line!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

For all IRA's or just inherited?

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

This would only apply to the new law that reduced the stretch IRA for non-spousal inherited IRA's.  I'm sure more info will be forthcoming from the experts and also how to deal with 2020 and 2021.

qbteachmt
Level 15

This happened back in early 2021 and got resolved as erroneously stated. Is there something going on now? It was the SECURE Act that made the change. The current Pub 590-B states: "The beneficiary is allowed, but not required, to take distributions prior to that date"

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Yes, that's what's happening now but the info is not fully out,.  This came from one of the national tax firms in a posting today.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I haven't heard of this.  Do you have any links for what you are talking about?

rbynaker
Level 13

I just googled David's title and came up with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2022/03/04/irs-nixes-10-year-stretch-for-most-inherited-i...

I haven't done a deep dive into this, just pointing you (us) in the right direction.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Thanks Rick.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I found that, too. I have not looked at the Proposed Reg yet.

I had a client ask me about RMDs from 3 different inherited IRAs yesterday. One inherited in 2020, the others in earlier years. She  didn't take her 2021 RMDs bc she thought they were waived like they were for 2020. Sigh.

And if anyone else didn't know yet - there are new life expectancy tables for computing 2022 and later RMDs.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"there are new life expectancy tables for computing 2022 and later RMDs."

That came along with the change to 72 vs 70 1/2.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers