Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRA distribution 1099-R not transferring to 4b taxable

PV Diniel
Level 2

Today I entered a 1099-R for an IRA distribution, same amount in boxes 1 and 2a, both "taxable amount not determined" and "total distribution" boxes checked.  Code 7, IRA box checked, and it is only showing up on line 4a of the 1040.  It is not included in the taxable amount on line 4b.  I don't understand it.  I have other 1099-R's in the return that are just like it that are showing up properly on both lines, but this one isn't included in the taxable amount.  The others are transferred in from the prior year.  It is only $19, and the same payer has another 1099-R with code G, but I don't see how that could be relevant.  Anyone else having this problem?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
do they have a non deductible IRA balance on an 8606 thats offsetting the distribution?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Camp1040
Level 10

Delete the $19 IRA dist. form and start again.

Usually the code G distribution shows up on line 5a, in my expierence most are 401-K rollovers.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
do they have a non deductible IRA balance on an 8606 thats offsetting the distribution?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PV Diniel
Level 2

I did try that, but the result was the same.  The code G 1099-R is showing up properly on Line 4a, but not 4b.  I was wondering if this was the unintended result of a recent update (like today's), but I'm guessing we would be hearing more about it, if that were the case.  I even closed Proseries and re-opened it before re-entering the 1099-R.  I've perused the bottom portion of the form and nothing appears to be out of place, no extra entries or checkboxes, etc.  I'm puzzled.

0 Cheers
PV Diniel
Level 2

I did not notice this until you suggested I look for this.  There is a little $379 basis on a Form 8606 that is cancelling it out.  Thank you so much!