Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Sale

cclark
Level 3

I have a client who has a small parcel of land that he wants to sell and basically carry the buyer. Do I fill out the installment sale form 6252? The buyer will pay interest and then there will be a balloon payment at the end of the term. Thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

Yes fill out the applicable worksheet for the installment sale. ProSeries does an excellent job on this. Each future year you will enter the principal payments received and the interest payments received and it'll calculate the gain on the principal and of course the interest is all taxable. Just my opinion

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
PATAX
Level 15

Yes fill out the applicable worksheet for the installment sale. ProSeries does an excellent job on this. Each future year you will enter the principal payments received and the interest payments received and it'll calculate the gain on the principal and of course the interest is all taxable. Just my opinion

dkh
Level 15

He wants to sell...so he hasn't yet.  The 6252 will go with the tax return in the year the sale actually happens.   If it were me, I'd ask for a copy of the contract