Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Lacerte, can you combine short term stock sales that have been reported to the IRS that includes a few wash sales?

Mjoseph
Level 1

Can someone clarify? If all of the stock sales are short term and reported to the IRS but there are a few wash sales, can you can still combine all of the short term - covered sales (including wash) and attach the statement instead? Also would you have to manually adjust the gain/loss so that it does not include the wash sale losses?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Enter the amount of the wash loss (as a positive) in the box called "Wash Loss Disallowed." That will automatically adjust the gain or loss to disallow the wash amount and put a "W" in the correct column of the 8949.

IE, if the sales price is $100 and the cost is $50, enter those. The gain will show as $50. Enter a $1 in the wash box and the gain will change to $51.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You should be able to make summary transactions with any software and attach the brokerage statement 1099b

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Mjoseph
Level 1

I understand that I can make summary transactions and attach the brokerage statement if need be. My question is am I allowed to summarize and attach the statement even if it includes a wash sale?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

.Yes

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Mjoseph
Level 1

Thank you! Also, would you have to manually adjust the gain/loss so that it does not include the wash sale losses?

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Enter the amount of the wash loss (as a positive) in the box called "Wash Loss Disallowed." That will automatically adjust the gain or loss to disallow the wash amount and put a "W" in the correct column of the 8949.

IE, if the sales price is $100 and the cost is $50, enter those. The gain will show as $50. Enter a $1 in the wash box and the gain will change to $51.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Accountant-Man wrote:

This was tagged as ProSeries Basic product, but the post says Lacerte, so Im not sure what program theyre actually using.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers