Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify verification person is deceased

sonadora-j
Level 3

I have  a client who did not file with me who is asking for my help. The mom filed 2019 tax return for deceased son. The irs sent the infamous identity verification letter. I am not sure what route to take to help her with this. I seen form 1310 but will this do anything since there is the identify verification hold. The deceased has no property and the refund amount is small so its not worth opening  an estate. 

Any advice appreciated 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did mom include the 1310 in the return like she should have if shes requesting a refund for a deceased person that isn't her spouse? If not, that's probably why it got pulled for ID verification. Dead people cant sign a return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Dead people cant sign a return."

That's very true.  I have enough trouble getting some of my living clients to sign an 8879, I can only imagine how much harder it is to get a dead person to do that.

Slava Ukraini!