Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to file an amended Illinois return for the spouse (originally filed MFJ)

AnnBr
Level 1

My client lived in Iowa all of 2021.   He married a girl from Illinois in June 2021, so she is a part resident of Iowa & Illinois.  she has Illinois income & Iowa income.   When I filed the original return, I must have hit a wrong button & told the NR form that the husband was a resident in Illinois too.  I read in the instructions that in Illinois, I have to either have all of their income in Illinois or file them separately.  So I am trying to file an amended Illinois return separately.  I did the IL 1040X for the husband with zero income.  My question is, How do I file the wife separately in the original federal file?  I don't see any place to tell the program who's amended return this is- it just assumes that I am preparing the husband's separate return.  What am I missing?  

Ann Bracy

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
rcooley25
Level 11

It has all been handled wrong. What I would have done when filing the return simply marked the retturn as Illinois part year residency and only showing wife's income as Ilinois income and then everything would be okay. Good luck in getting this straighten out.