Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to figure out how can the box 13 W-other deductions need to be entered in form 1040

Harsha
Level 1

there is box 13 W on partnership tax return and I need to figure out how will that flow in personal tax return 

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Harsha
Level 1

I have a Box 13 w- Other deduction for commission expenses in partnership tax return. I am trying to figure out where should it flow in form 1040 so that the client can get a deduction benefit.

the instruction in pro-series says that it needs to be manually entered in the personal tax return. 

The commission was paid for investment business purpose.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I think you need to ask the preparer of the 1065 about it.

A commission paid by the Partnership for a business reason would generally just go on page 1 of the 1065, and would affect Box 1 of the K-1.  It would not be listed separately on the K-1.  So you need to find out more about exactly what it is and why it is separated on the K-1.

Harsha
Level 1

thank you for clarifying.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"so that the client can get a deduction benefit."

Did you search the web? I did, and here is what I got in results:

"the TCJA suspended all itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor. Individual taxpayers may no longer deduct the amounts reflected as portfolio deductions in Box 13-Code W for federal income tax purposes; however, some states still allow these deductions."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers