Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to enter sale of business property (house), that was held for 2 years. The sale shows as a ordinary income instead of capital gain.

techbiz1662
Level 1

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
dkh
Level 15

Where are you entering this information? Schedule D ? Is it a rental property, if yes, sell it through the Asset Entry Worksheet in Schedule E.

Need details to understand how to help

techbiz1861
Level 1

This is a house was rehabbed and sold after 2 years of ownership.  It wasn't rental.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

So maybe it belongs on Schedule C.  None of the expenses were deducted there in the last two years?  

techbiz1861
Level 1

All the deductions were done after the sale.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"shows as a ordinary income instead of capital gain"

There's a difference in an Inventory Asset, used to generate a sale, and "business property" as an Asset used in the operation of the business.

A Capital gain, even if you are calling this an investment property, and a Flip, in the IRS terminology, are differentiated by the business purpose.

So, either this activity (the flip) was the business, and this was inventory held over a year end or two while being improved. Or, it is an unusual situation, maybe they bought it to fix and occupy or fix and rent (fixed asset) and then got an offer or otherwise circumstances changed, and they ended up selling it.

Because sales of inventory assets are Ordinary Income.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support. 

techbiz1861
Level 1

Thank You so much for an explanation. 

0 Cheers
techbiz1861
Level 1

I am on the correct site.  I wasn't sure where to enter the info using ProTax software.

It had to be on Sched D.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

curious...... is  @techbiz1662  that started this post the same as @techbiz1861 that ended it ?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"is  @techbiz1662  that started this post the same as @techbiz1861"

Hey, a war is a war is a war, I suppose...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.