Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am sure the answer is no, but will Proseries carrying education expense info to the NJ return for the rediculously complicated new NJ education deduction?

FTAX
Level 5

Proseries has never accurately calculated the dependent education exemption on New Jersey returns. Rather than do it correctly OR not at all, it SOMETIMES calculates it. Beginning in 2022, New Jersey has added a ridiculous education deduction, with a higher income threshold than federal, but limited only to NJ colleges. I guess it is safe to assume we will simply have to manually enter this onto the NJ return. 

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I don't see a problem.  Seems to work fine.  If the TP qualifies for one of the credits you enter the amount on NJ1040 line 37a,b,or c.  If you exceed the limitation for the particular credit you get an error. If the TP exceeds the income limitation you get an error. 

Otherwise it's just a direct reduction to income on lines 39 & 42 and that works too.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
FTAX
Level 5

You don't see the problem? If a workaround is required, by definition there is a problem. It is one several issues which don't cleanly transfer over to New Jersey and require a direct entry. 

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

It's direct entry onto the form. Where would you like it to transfer from?   Is there a worksheet for a 529 that I'm missing somewhere? 

I put a question on my organizer for each class.   How much did you contribute to a NJBEST 529?  

FTAX
Level 5

Education expenses entered on the federal return (student loan interest is too, for that matter)  are transfered over to New York return, where it sometimes can be included in the NY state itemized deductions, even when the taxpayers federal income was too high to qualify for a credit.  The NY software asks you to confirm that the education expense was an undergraduate expense. Something similar could have been devised for New Jersey, but it won't be. 

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I’m guess I’m just not seeing this as ‘ridiculously complicated’, but if you want to make a product suggestion use the link for ProSeries Tax Idea Exchange.  They have been acting on suggestion with the most votes.

The NY DOR may have the most onerous & complex rules in the nation (…it’s a toss up with Cali) so a bigger development team makes sense to me….. Though NJ Division is trying really hard to be a PITA, it’s still pretty basic. 

While I’m thinking about it…. @IntuitGabi    When NJ started requiring that IRS 4868 be attached to to NJ1040 when efile returns after 4/15 the EF center would not transmit if the attachment wasn’t included… This was an awesome feature.  In one of the last updates last year the feature disappeared. Any chance you could find out if that was unintentional and is being restored?

0 Cheers
FTAX
Level 5

The 'ridiculously complicated' has to do with the NJ rules, it has nothing to do with my criticism of Proseries.  

I will not waste my time making product suggestions to ProSeries, as they have no interest in them. It is actually annoying to get regular emails for thumbs up for ideas and never have them acted upon.

Your initial comment on this thread was "I don't see a problem.  Seems to work fine.", then you proceed to explain how you can simply directly enter the information onto the NJ return. Well, you could also print out a paper return and enter the information too. If it doesn't bother you the Prosies does a poor job in a number of areas on the NJ return, why bother even commenting on my post when you have nothing constructive add to it? It makes you come across as a shill. I am not accusing you of that, but that is how it comes across.  

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

@Skylane "the EF center would not transmit if the attachment wasn’t included" 
Do you remember the messaging or pop-up you experienced for this? 

@FTAX & @Skylane  I can pass your feedback along and give you response if I receive any insights. 

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@IntuitGabi @FTAX 

Gabi,

On 10/11/22, I efiled IRS/NY/NJ returns where IRS 4868 had been previously filed and accepted electronically. The NJ return efiled successfully (though I wish it had not) Without the attachment.  I believe this occurred in 2 separate instances. 

0 Cheers
moshe
Level 3

Hi Proseries,

Why hasn't this been fixed for New Jersey?

I entered a 1098-T from a college in NJ, and while on the federal return it is giving the American Opportunity credit, nothing is flowing through automatically to line 37c on the NJ1040.

I know it's a new credit for 2022, but why haven't you fixed it yet to flow through from the Federal return to NJ.

(You do flow through college expenses from Fed to New York, so why haven't you fixed it from Fed to New Jersey?)

FTAX
Level 5

It won't be.

0 Cheers