Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I always have the current year and the prior year client file open.Any way to change the display color so Im not changing entries in the prior year? Thank you.

taxacct
Level 1

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Yes in 2021 select Tools>Options>General>Field Navigation   there is a check box for Show Previous Tax Year Color

evietax
Level 2

Lock the prior  year's return.  That way you CAN'T change anything.

It is more difficult to navigate on a locked return.  For example, "page down" will not work.  It would nice if you could change the background color to something which stands out but the subtle change in color that dkh mentions above does help.

taxes96786
Level 9

When you have both open you can look at the top of the screen to be sure you are working on the correct return.

I always make sure the prior year is on left side of screen and current year is on the right side.

0 Cheers

I am sure you can.  But it is sooooo easy to be looking at a prior year to see, for example, how you handled something in a prior year, the phone rings and distracts you for some time, and upon finishing the call, start entering the current year info into the prior year.  Something as simple as changing the background color would easily prevent that from happening, at least for myself.  YMMV.

taxes96786
Level 9

Me too.  I open the prior return for reference purposes

This is why

I always make sure the prior year is on left side of screen and current year is on the right side. This way I am sure I am doing the input on the return on the right side.

0 Cheers