Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Would You Respond To This IRS Letter 12C?

BobKamman
Level 15

“We received your Dec. 31, 2019, Form 1040 federal individual income tax return, but we need more information to process the return accurately. . . .

Form 8962 is incomplete or missing from your return. Complete the form with information that supports $8,000 on line 8, Schedule 3. Also attach all supporting forms or schedules, as required.”

My clients had problems scanning the letter to email to me, but they focused on the Form 8962 and tried to figure out why IRS needed that because they have never been covered by ACA. For the last 20 years the entire family has been covered by an employer policy.

They finally got a copy of the letter to me, and I pointed out that Line 8, Schedule 3 is where they enter estimated tax payments. They did make an $8,000 payment, but it might have been credited to the wrong year.

The notice came from Ogden, Utah. That state is bordered by Nevada, Arizona and Colorado, all of which have legalized marijuana. But I don’t think that’s what they are smoking in the shadows of the Wasatch Range.

The return was filed in October, so it took IRS five months to ask. They want a response in 20 days. As I explained to my clients, sometimes when IRS says “Jump,” you don’t have to ask “How High?” I’m sure it will take three months for them to process our response, even if it’s a week late.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I would send copies of the Canceled checks for the es payments, along with a letter questioning anything else the IRS is asking for

BobKamman
Level 15

Yes.  Front and back of check.  Good thing they didn't pay online.  They could also check their account online.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
was it paper filed and the data entry clerk entered it in the wrong box?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers