Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop rental property depreciation mid-year?

holly
Level 1

Client transitioned rental property mid-year (7/31/18) to personal use property.

This article says ProSeries will not suspend depreciation on rental property -- https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1610288-suspending-depreciation-on-a-rental-proper...

So, I changed the business use percentage on each rental property asset to 58%, assuming that ProSeries would calculate 58% of the total annual depreciation amount that would otherwise have been claimed.

But, it's not calculating that way -- It's applying zero depreciation to the house, and $11 for the roof replacement, which would have normally been $189.

If I don't change the percentage, it deducts a full year of depreciation, which is incorrect.

How do I get this to calculate correctly? -- I can adjust the business use percentages on the asset worksheets to force the depreciation to equal my manual calculations but is there a better, or more proper/correct way to make it work?

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Go into the asset entry worksheet and enter the date it was converted as the asset sale date but don’t enter any selling price.  Then print the depreciation schedules so you have them for whenever the property happens to be sold.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Go into the asset entry worksheet and enter the date it was converted as the asset sale date but don’t enter any selling price.  Then print the depreciation schedules so you have them for whenever the property happens to be sold.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
holly
Level 1
Very helpful. Thank you!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers