Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to schedule electronic withdrawal of taxes due beyond April 18th - given the IRS 10/16/2023 extended filing deadline for listed counties in California

Busy123
Level 3

Earlier this year certain counties in California were granted the extended deadline of October 16, 2023, by the IRS to file and pay taxes without penalty due to the rain damage caused in the listed counties.

Some of my clients wish to file now and pay beyond the original April 18, 2023, filing deadline.

Intuit customer support suggested that I e-file turning error check off.  Intuit accepted the e-filing. However, both Fed and State tax agencies rejected the e-file.

My client resides in Santa Clara Count, California, (a listed county) has requested an electronic withdrawal date of 9/15/2023... Which is before the extended filing deadline.

REJECT DIAGNOSTIC:

Description: 2023-09-15(/efile:Return/efile:ReturnData/efile:IRSPayment/efile:RequestedPay
Error Detail:
If the return is received on or before the due date of the return, then the
'RequestedPaymentDt' in the IRS Payment Record must be on the due date or before the
due date.
Error Resolution:
Review the date that has been entered for electronic funds withdrawal. The requested
electronic payment date must not be later than the filing deadline.

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The CA return has a special checkbox for it, but for federal you'd have to use IRS DirectPay. 

The IRS and Intuit won't change their programming to accommodate this on the federal side, since it only applies to certain counties in certain states.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MariaR
Level 3

I hadn't paid attention to this special checkbox... I'll look for it today as I may need to use it soon.

Quick question.. I've read through the IRS publications but can't find anything concrete - Do we need to request this filing/payment extension to Oct 16th or is it automatically in place for individuals who live in those designated areas? If anybody can help me out with this one... or point me to where I can find it.

Thank you in advance!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
taxes96786
Level 9

have you checked to see whether interest will be added for payment after due date. is it just penalties that have been waived. Client may want to know this before deciding when to pay.

0 Cheers
Busy123
Level 3

Based on the IRS wording of the extended 10/16/23 deadline, it extends both filing and payment date.  No mention of interest application or relief.... On its face, it would be a mean trick to grant an extension because of a disaster, forgive penalties ...then stick filers with interest because they filed to the extended deadline.

IRS: May 15 tax deadline extended to Oct. 16 for disaster area taxpayers in California, Alabama and ...

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

they cant extend the date to pay then add interest or penalty  on it, thats not an extension of time to pay.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
MariaR
Level 3

Thank you!!! I can't believe I missed that part there, brain fart or something going on here LOL Appreciate it!!

0 Cheers
MariaR
Level 3

Totally cool on that special checkbox for CA returns to indicate a later payment date for the storms extension.

Would be even nicer if the Federal return had something similar. (Intuit, hoping you read this LOL)

[Back to preparing taxes now.]

0 Cheers