Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to paper file using Proseries.

PV1
Level 2

I recently found out that I need an EFIN number to e-file. I used to use my father’s number. He passed away last year. I already apply for my number but it will take forever to get it. I’ll need to paper file and don’t know how to do it. Called tech support and didn’t help me. 

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

Uncheck the efile button, print to paper, staple, sign - give to client to sign.

Are you aware that if you prepare 10 or more (more than 10?) efiling is a requirement?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Don't forget to file form 8948 with each return since I am assuming your clients requested that you file a paper return for them.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You may want to apply for an EFile waiver if you plan to prepare more than 10 returns.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8944

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

ass-u-me....

( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

The EFIN was associated with your father, and not your father's business (which you may be continuing)?

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Ah... good point/possibility.  Let's hope so.

( Generic Comment )"
PV1
Level 2

My father started the business, and I was helping him occasionally.  After his death I decided to continue but I was not aware about the EFIN requirement until last December.  I already applied for my own number, but I am waiting for them to get to my application and then send my information to the FBI etc.

Funny thing (I am being sarcastic here) I contacted IRS and explained my situation and they told me that they will re-activate my father's EFIN number for 45 days ONLY while I get my own.  ProSeries could not accept that because they need my father's EFIN summary application which he did back in 2016 and I don't have that information right now.  So, IRS re-activated the number, but I can't e-file.  I was told by tech support that even if I had his summary application it would not work because it will create an error message within the software. 

PV1
Level 2

Thank you for the information.

PV1
Level 2

Thank you

IRonMaN
Level 15

Since you are having a tough time getting out of the starting blocks, I hope the rest of tax season goes better for you.

Slava Ukraini!