Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to order one 1099-misc form from IRS

Greta
Level 9

I erroneously sent out electronically one 1099-misc which should have been 1099-NEC. For months unable to reach 1-800-829-FORM so as to mail a correction. "Due to high volume call back later." I'm too cheap to buy an entire packet from a supply store. Any other number to call?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

"Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns | Internal Revenue Service" https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
TAXOH
Level 11

"Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns | Internal Revenue Service" https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns

PATAX
Level 15

@Greta your local IRS office may also have the form... I have extra ones here at my office that I would gladly give to you for free, but it is not a good idea to leave any type of personal information on the internet since malignant hackers are everywhere...

Greta
Level 9

How kind of you! No IRS office in this town, Lexington VA 24450. But following your offer, I will reach out to other tax preparers in town. Thank you again.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I order mine online and they are mailed right away. You'll need a 1099-Misc for correction, a 1099-NEC, and the 1096, which I typically use for my State, as well. I also get one extra of the 1099s, because you never know when you will make a mistake or ruin one or need to give away one. Our city is large enough to have a local IRS office, but they no longer leave everything out in the lobby for the taking. They stopped doing that before covid.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Greta
Level 9

Who do you order from online? The IRS or from a commercial store? Can you share the link?

sjrcpa
Level 15

See the link TAXOH posted

Ex-AllStar
Greta
Level 9

Thank you for the IRS link. For 1099-misc it will not allow to print and mail because it needs to be computer-readable. Is there a place on this site to request 1099 forms to be mailed to me?

Greta
Level 9

This worked perfectly! Please ignore my prior message. It was so easy to order online! Thank you!

BobKamman
Level 15

Last time I had to file 1099's I printed my own with a color laser printer.  They weren't sent back and I didn't go to jail.  However, for the when-IRS-says-jump-I-ask-how-high crowd, the 1970s technology of IRS does require extra time and expense.  If I were correcting a 1099 already filed, as in zeroing out a 1099-MISC, I would make sure that it could be processed so that the recipient wouldn't get dinged twice for the same amount.  

Greta
Level 9

Zeroing out the erroneous 1099-misc does worry me. I don't have a typewriter to type in the corrected info. I have a suspicion that handwritten 1099s don't get processed -- clients who receive handwritten 1099s and never filed for years and years (before they came to me) also never got letters from the IRS for rather big 1099 amounts.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I've always handwritten mine, except one year for a client, I bought the 25 laser pack.

Of course, for 5 or more, it might be worth buying an online service that allows you to e-file them.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TAXOH
Level 11

Glad it worked for you.  I've usually received them fairly fast by mail.

BobKamman
Level 15

I suspect the Copy A of those handwritten 1099's never get sent to IRS.  They're just kept around to satisfy an IRS auditor who might ask.  How is the occasional examiner going to verify filing?  "Must have been misplaced or lost in processing."  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Just to warn you, sometimes ordering the forms can take a REALLY, REALLY LONG time to arrive, and I suspect with the current Covid-backup, things aren't any better.

You may consider just spending $8-10 to correct the forms with a third-party service just to be done with it.  For example, I've used "efilemyforms.com" and it costs about $4 each (prepare, file and mail to recipient).