Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to input multiple llc?

lucrecia
Level 4

how do you enter multiple llc???

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It because ProSeries only allows 1 of the state SMLLC returns per client (ridiculous I know).  The only reason to mark the SMLLC box on Sch C is to make it carry the info over to the state SMLLC return (I'm i CA, so its the 568).

I dont think you'll be able to Efile 2 different state SMLLC returns, you'll end up with a duplicate SSN error in the EFCenter, so what Ive done, it mark one Sch C as the SMLLC, then I go over to the CA state 568 and complete it and print it out for filing and print the client letter that it generates.

Now delete that 568, and uncheck the SMLLC box on that first Sch C and check the LLC box on the second Sch C and either print that state SMLLC return out and mail it too, or keep it as is and Efile it.

Its clunky, but it can work.

If you have numerous clients with multiple SMLLCs you may want to look for software that can handle this situation better.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
RollTide68
Level 8

Need to provide a little more context for us to try and help.

One sole proprietor wit multiple LLCs or a multi-member LLC? 

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

One sole proprietorship with 2 LLC. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If they are two different businesses he operates as a sole proprietor, you would use two schedule C, and use his SS or his EIN, but do not use the LLC's EIN

lucrecia
Level 4

Ok let me try. Thank You.

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

Ok so it did not work, let me try rephrase what im dealing with, apologies everyone. So the client is a single owner of 2 separate LLC.  Both LLC have seperate expenses. When I enter one LLC id check the LLC box on the Schedule C. But when I enter the 2nd LLC on its own Schedule C id check the LLC box and the error says "LLC box should only be checked on one copy of Schedule C"...

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

Enter on line D the employer identification number (EIN) that was issued to
you on Form SS-4. Do not enter your SSN on this line. D

Single-member LLCs. If you are the sole owner of an LLC that is not treated as a separate entity for federal income tax purposes, enter on line D the EIN that was issued to the LLC (in the LLC's legal name) for a qualified retirement plan, to file employment, excise, alcohol, tobacco, or firearms returns, or as a payer of gambling winnings. If you do not have such an EIN, leave line D blank.

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

ProSeries help says that the LLC box can only be checked on one Schedule C.  It does not state a reason for this.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

lucrecia
Level 4

LOL, That's what im dealing with.

0 Cheers
lucrecia
Level 4

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

i have a couple of clients that have two single member LLCs each. I can efile the State LLC form in Tennessee for one of them...but have to go to the State website and log on and file the 2nd  single member llc every year.  very time consuming and a duplication not needed...but have been complaining for many years now.. to no avail.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It because ProSeries only allows 1 of the state SMLLC returns per client (ridiculous I know).  The only reason to mark the SMLLC box on Sch C is to make it carry the info over to the state SMLLC return (I'm i CA, so its the 568).

I dont think you'll be able to Efile 2 different state SMLLC returns, you'll end up with a duplicate SSN error in the EFCenter, so what Ive done, it mark one Sch C as the SMLLC, then I go over to the CA state 568 and complete it and print it out for filing and print the client letter that it generates.

Now delete that 568, and uncheck the SMLLC box on that first Sch C and check the LLC box on the second Sch C and either print that state SMLLC return out and mail it too, or keep it as is and Efile it.

Its clunky, but it can work.

If you have numerous clients with multiple SMLLCs you may want to look for software that can handle this situation better.

lucrecia
Level 4

Hi Lisa, Thank you so much for that. But the client had opened her LLC in Wyoming and she does live in California. Do you know if the client still needs to file her LLC in California and pay the $800 fee? or do i need to download Wyomings forms?....Im so hating LLCs right now.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont know anything about WY, sorry.  But if she lives in CA and is running the LLC business in CA she needs to register as a foreign LLC with the CA Secretary of State...not sure why people form LLCs outside the state, that may have worked a decade or 2 ago, but CA wont let you get away with it anymore.

https://bpd.cdn.sos.ca.gov/llc/forms/llc-5.pdf

lucrecia
Level 4

Oh really?...the client doesn't believe it and and if I put her registered WY address itll be dumb because her business/resident address is in CA and proseries wont let me efile unless I fill out the 568. And I just discovered the reason why people go out of the state is because they don't want to pay that those CA fees. And I believe you when you say CA wont let anyone get away with it anymore. But thank you so much for help. 

0 Cheers