Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get an electronic signture on an amended return?

mac20coaching
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Yup. That should work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
itonewbie
Level 15

Same way as original return.  F.8879.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
mac20coaching
Level 3

The system tells me: None of the return(s) for the selected client are eligible for eSignature.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Which return series are you filing?

What does the diagnostic say exactly?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
mac20coaching
Level 3

I'm filing a 2022 1040X.  Exactly what I typed before is the error message it's giving me.  In the eSignature field on the Homebase screen, it says "Completed".  I'm sure it's referring to the original complete eSignature from the original 1040 filing.  Not sure how to change it so it allows to request a new signature like it normally would when filing a 1040.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If that's a system limitation, perhaps get the F.8879 e-signature(s) outside of DocuSign?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
mac20coaching
Level 3

I'm thinking I can save the Amended 8879 as a separate PDF by itself and then upload it to DocuSign manually and then request a signature that way.  Good idea?

0 Cheers
mac20coaching
Level 3

Now that I think about it, how would the IRS see the Amended 8879??????

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

They won't unless they ask to see it.  Keeping the form is part of the tax preparer's responsibility for document retention.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
mac20coaching
Level 3

Ok.  I'm guessing my manual upload idea to DocuSign could work then.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Yup. That should work.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
mac20coaching
Level 3

Awesome!  Thank you for your time and assistance.