Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file a SC tax return with part year residents who are residents of SC?

FrankK
Level 4
For 2023, taxpayers are residents of VA for first 198 days & SC for remaining 167 days. 

Page 4 (Filing Status) Instructions for SC-1040 state: “If you are a nonresident for the entire year or a part-year resident electing to file as a nonresident, check the appropriate box and attach your Schedule NR to the completed SC1040.”

The instructions make no distinction.  Since TPs were in VA for > 183 days, they could be VA residents based on physical presence test. They would not be SC residents based on physical presence.

In ProSeries, if I select part year filing as non-resident, retirement and age deductions are prorated based on number of days in SC/365.  

On the Info Worksheet, if I select "Fully Year Resident or Part Year Resident filing as a resident filing form SC-1040", ProSeries does not prorate income and deductions based on period of residency.  Further, ProSeries does not let me select the Schedule NR checkbox on SC Form 1040

The instructions for Schedule NR state “Use the Schedule NR if you are a nonresident of South Carolina or you are filing as a part-year resident.”

How do I select Schedule NR to file as a part-year resident?
0 Cheers