Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correct when a dependent filed on their own and got the stimulus.

TAXOH
Level 11

Someone told my clients 18 year old high school student to file a tax return and claim herself to get the $1,200 and $600 stimulus payments.  She used some free file site and claimed herself and is getting the stimulus payments.  She only made $5,000 and is still a dependent of her parents.  When she dropped off her parents tax documents she asked me to take her off her parents return.  When she told me why I told her she shouldn't have done that because she is still their dependent.  They want to make things right and claim her and have her amend and pay back what she shouldn't have received.  I can't figure out how I will amend her return to not claim herself and pay back what she shouldn't have received.  The not claiming herself I know how to do but it's how to get it to show she will owe back the stimulus.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

Form 1040-X, line 15, "other"

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

Has she already received the money?  The return might have ended up in the IRS penalty box, and the best way to keep it there would be to quickly file another original return.  Otherwise, it's just like any other amended return.  Paper, and include a check for $1,800.  

TAXOH
Level 11

Thanks Bob.  She just filed it a week ago so she hasn't received it yet.  I know to paper file an amended return but where do I show the $1,800 on the amended return that she needs to pay back

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Form 1040-X, line 15, "other"

TAXOH
Level 11

Thank you!

0 Cheers