Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to amend a return to change dependents.

taxu2
Level 4

Are you able to E-File an amended return to change dependents. Client claimed wrong child on original return. When replacing with correct child the amount of refund does not change. When I attempted E-File it stated since there was no refund or amount due difference from original return it would not accept it. Is there a way around this or does it have to be mailed in? 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Lots of amended returns dont change the balance due or refund amount, they still need to be filed. Look at Page 2 of the 1040X, does it show the list of dependents and did you complete the explanation portion?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If this was caught when another party tried to claim the child, it might be better to have them claim the one you client didn't claim. Sounds like they are doing some switching back and forth, and if they have to wait for your client's amended return to process to free up the dependent, it might be a while.

The above comment is dependent on "there being no change to either return regardless of which dependent child is claimed."

Some times it makes sense to do things the expedient way, so long as you are not changing the tax amount of either party.

taxu2
Level 4

Unfortunately each child has a different father. 

0 Cheers
taxu2
Level 4

I removed the original dependent in the info works and added the correct one. On page two it lists the correct (new) dependent I added. I did fill out the explanation. My error detail reads: If Form 1040X 'total payments less overpayment amount' is not equal to total tax amount in correct number or amount group then at least one of the following must have a non zero value, [owed amount or net overpayment amount or refund amount or applied estimate amount] 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Well thats kind of a dumb set up they've got for this.....maybe add $1 as withholding to force a "change" and allow EFiling?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  Or maybe decrease withholding by $1, so it doesn't look like an effort to profit from a mistake.