Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add statements and notes to explain wages on the return

Charm
Level 1

Can I add a reference to the line for wages to show how much was earned during my resident and nonresident period.  Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Charm wrote:

The previous accountant filed a resident return

I would have filed a nonresident return which I know has income allocation scheduled. But I want to be consistent with what was filed in 2021.

Except for certain elections, filing a 1040 (Resident Alien) versus a 1040NR (Nonresident Alien) isn't a choice - it is a matter of facts.  *IF* the prior year was incorrect, don't mimic it by filing another potentially incorrect tax return.

Is he a Resident Alien or a Nonresident Alien?  Last year was the taxpayer a Dual Status Alien?

You said he lived in and was a Resident of Canada, so at first glance the prior return may be wrong, but without seeing all of the details, it is difficult to know.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

Are you asking for yourself or a client you are preparing a return for?

If for yourself..... you are in the wrong place.  Try asking in the TurboTax forum.

If you are asking for a client, you need to explain where you feel this "reference" note is required.

Charm
Level 1

Hi, I am preparing this tax return for a client. He works in the US but lives and is a resident of Canada. He allocated his W-2 income in the US based on days he is in the US and days in Canada. The previous accountant filed a resident return and have notes added on how the income should be allocated between the two countries. To be honest I would have filed a nonresident return which I know has income allocation scheduled. But I want to be consistent with what was filed in 2021. My issue now is where and how do I explain the allocation on the return. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Oohhhhh I was thinking it had to do with taxpayer living in two states not two countries.

I have NO experience with this... hopefully someone that does will chime in.

Charm
Level 1

Thanks for looking into this. If someone else can tell me how to add a statement to pro Series to explain the wages reported, I would appreciate it.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Charm wrote:

The previous accountant filed a resident return

I would have filed a nonresident return which I know has income allocation scheduled. But I want to be consistent with what was filed in 2021.

Except for certain elections, filing a 1040 (Resident Alien) versus a 1040NR (Nonresident Alien) isn't a choice - it is a matter of facts.  *IF* the prior year was incorrect, don't mimic it by filing another potentially incorrect tax return.

Is he a Resident Alien or a Nonresident Alien?  Last year was the taxpayer a Dual Status Alien?

You said he lived in and was a Resident of Canada, so at first glance the prior return may be wrong, but without seeing all of the details, it is difficult to know.

0 Cheers