Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can you file an amended return after original has been accepted by IRS?

jeanmarc
Level 4

I read somewhere that you should wait at least two weeks but that appeared to be someone's suggestion and not necessarily a rule per se.

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know that there are any rules, but you will get things all mucked up if you do it too soon, that's why you saw the two week suggestion.  Once the return has been processed by the IRS, it is safe to e-file an amended return.  If you are paper filing, you can do it anytime since it is going to sit in a warehouse before they get around to processing it.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I'd wait until the refund from the original return has been processed.  (Just guessing the original had a refund since they have filed already)

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I always wait for the return to complete processing and any refund received...if the original gets sucked into the errors department for manual processing your amended return wouldnt be able to be matched to anything making it land in error processing as well or maybe even returned as non-processible.

2021 1040X wont be ready for use until the end of February anyhow, so unless this is a prior year amendment, you're still in a holding pattern for awhile.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Of course if they open the amended return before the original buried in the bottom of that warehouse, who knows what kind of a muck up that might cause.

Cheese
Level 1

Does anyone know when we can file 2021 amended return? Had a taxpayer do original return themselves and now needs amending. I did amended return and get an E-File error that If Form 1040, "AmendedReturnInd" is checked then 1040-X must be part of return

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Did you

1) prepare return as taxpayer had

2) activate the 1040X and the appropriate state amendment form 

3) change the return to the corrected information

4) efile the amendment

You would want to wait to efile amendment until after IRS has processed original and issued refund

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I Efiled one this morning, no issues.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
godiva_jen
Level 2

I'm in the same boat.  Client did it themselves and I'm filing the amendment and Intuit isn't allowing that unless you prepared the original return.  I tested filing an amendment for a return where I filed the original and no issues there.  I'm guessing that will roll out later where we can file the amendment even if we don't prepare the original later.

0 Cheers
Cheese
Level 1

I did all of that as I have experience as I just filed 2020 amended where client filed their own return and no issues. Instructions for e-File help only refer to 2020 tax returns

0 Cheers
Cheese
Level 1

I have had no issues filing 2020 amended returns and when you go to E-File center for returns the return for 2021 does not reflect amended

0 Cheers
godiva_jen
Level 2

Yeah, no issues for me with efiling amended 2020 either.

0 Cheers