Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should Form 8879 look after a 1040X is prepared?

taxmanbrian
Level 3

Prepared a 2020 1040 for a client that had originally been prepared by another tax preparer.  The original 1040 was electronically filed, accepted by the IRS and had the client owing additional tax of which they paid.  After building the new 1040, I prepared a 1040X and requested that it be electronically filed. The new 8879 shows a refund that reflects what it should have been had it been prepared correctly.  Is the new 8879 correct or should it reflect the 1040X refund requested due to the client making a payment on the originally filed return?  Interestingly too, the Return Type under the EF Center does not reflect Federal Amended.  Thinking that it may not since I didn't originally e-file the first return. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

@taxmanbrian   to amend a return you didn't originally prepare you have to first create the original "bad return" so when you activate the 1040X it will populate correctly.   

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The new 8879 should have the amended figures on it. Be sure you checked the 2020 box at the top of the 1040X BEFORE you made the changes that you're amending for.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
taxmanbrian
Level 3

Hi there and thank you for the response.  I tried that it and unfortunately, it did not work.  I'm guessing that I should submit this using paper instead of e-filing unless you have another thought? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I havent had to amend any returns that I didnt prepare the original, so Im not sure what advice to give.

If you created an original exactly as filed, and marked it for Efiling, you would have gotten an original 8879.

If you then opened the 1040X and marked the 2020 box, then went back and made the changes youre amending for, and marked the amended EF box on the Fed info worksheet, it "should" have updated the figures on the 8879.

If thats not happening, Im not sure where to go with it, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxmanbrian
Level 3

I like your answer but hate creating a bad return to allow for e-filing a 1040X.  I need to file an amended NY return as well and am also concerned that ProSeries won't allow me to e-file a state without e-filing an IRS return first.  NY is requiring all returns go by e-filing.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@taxmanbrian   to amend a return you didn't originally prepare you have to first create the original "bad return" so when you activate the 1040X it will populate correctly.