Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is this my problem?

dkh
Level 15

Received phone call from a non-client member of LLC that I am preparing.  First year for this LLC.  This non-client member is angry because his tax preparer finished his return without the K-1 and now will need to redo the return.       How is this my problem ?    

He is also angry because I did not return his call last week to tell him if I was done yet.  I refuse to call someone to say I'm not done.   If you don't have the paperwork from me it's obvious it's not done.  Not wasting my time making that call.

12 Comments 12
BobKamman
Level 15

What we have here is a failure to communicate.  The LLC should know that there is one person (or more, if you choose) who is responsible for providing information needed for tax preparation, and for communicating to other members the status of the return.  The designated individual(s) should be aware that all inquiries from other members should flow through them.  

Same situation applies to estates and trusts.  There may be five beneficiaries, but there is one personal representative or trustee, and that person is the contact point in both directions.  

dkh
Level 15

I think you missed my point. This person is angry with me because his preparer completed his return without including the K1.    I have no control over his preparer. 

I do agree with your point of having one member of LLC as contact person.   This non-client member isn't even involved in the daily operations of the business.  I've been working with the other member that runs the business.  They are brothers. 

PATAX
Level 15

If that taxpayer knew that he did not have his K1, then why did he sign the e-file authorization form(s)? I wouldn't worry about it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Tell, the person that you are sorry for his troubles and that you will get right to the source of the problem.  Then hand him a mirror and tell him to take a good look at who he really needs to blame.  Stupid is one thing, but stupid and rude is in a league of its own.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"They are brothers."

And because he bosses around his brother, that relationship extends to you.

"because I did not return his call last week to tell him if I was done yet."

Answer: "Every time you contact me, it interrupts the work and delays that return even further. It will be done on time, and that won't change just because you keep calling."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Years ago I had a good client call me to ask if his return was done.  I pointed out that when he was in, I told him that it would be about two weeks before I would have it ready for him and those two weeks weren't up yet.  Then I told him that for every time he calls me looking for the return, I was going to add an extra week to that turnaround time.  I think that was like 20 years ago.  He has never made a similar call since.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@qbteachmt    I think I'm going to change my answering machine to include your answer.

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh maybe get rid of that answering machine and stick with caller id?

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

never got a single call asking if a return was done yet.. that's because I do all returns with clients here.. 20-45 minutes.. in.. no time for chit chat.. return done.. thank you for trusting me with your taxes.. i hope you have a good year. (does that count as chit chat? ) 🙂 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio I agree with you about the Chit Chat, you are right about that. But most of the returns that I do take me too long so the client can't sit here and wait. 

dkh
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio   wait a minute...what about those 150 extensions you mentioned yesterday. None of those clients call to ask about their return?   

I'm with @PATAX ,   most of the returns I prepare take at least a "4 Jim returns" time to complete.  Clients don't want to wait.  I don't want clients to wait.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@dkh ok.. up to 167 extensions now... and if I may say so.. I don't think the returns that I do are much different than anyone else.. With the volume that I do I see my share of complex returns. but nothing is really too complex for me in reality.. (except full 990s.. I don't like those, never have, never will)  more complex as in rental properties maybe, self employment income, etc.. I see a good deal of those so what kind of returns are you doing other than W-2s, 1099 INTs, 1099 DIVs, schedules C, D, E, F, K-1s from LLCS, S Corps and the actual 1065s and 1120S'.. or C Corp returns.. I cannot imagine I am not seeing returns that you are seeing.. I will grant you that I do not do trust returns but that is mostly by choice.