Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one know if they are a Fee-basis state or local government official?

Greysume
Level 1
Client worked in another State (AZ); paid by an Agency from that state; they also received weekly per diem; they had a limit of 7 months for the Optical Lab Tech
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Fee-based government officials are paid by fees charged to the public.  Notaries are the most common example.  But when I had to probate my mother's estate I had to make a payment to the "Commissioner of Accounts" who was really just a lawyer a block away from the court house who was appointed to the position.  State law dictated how much I had to pay the lawyer, so that likely meant that he was a fee-based government official.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
rbynaker
Level 13

Fee-based government officials are paid by fees charged to the public.  Notaries are the most common example.  But when I had to probate my mother's estate I had to make a payment to the "Commissioner of Accounts" who was really just a lawyer a block away from the court house who was appointed to the position.  State law dictated how much I had to pay the lawyer, so that likely meant that he was a fee-based government official.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Michael Jones, 146 T.C. No. 3 makes a clear distinction: https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/ustcinop/opinionviewer.aspx?ID=10686

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Greysume
Level 1
Thank you
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
@Just £isa Now!

This may help with your notary question from earlier this week.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
:+1::+1:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers