Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does an after year end medical expense reimbursement affect the deduction?

gsa11
Level 3

I filed a client's return with standard deduction on the federal return and itemized on the California return.  Client just informed me that they very recently received (in 2023) an insurance reimbursement for part of the cost of one of the medical expenses deducted in 2022.  Because the reimbursement occurred after year end, my thought was that the reimbursement should be set against current year itemized medical expenses to reduce them.  Or are we supposed to amend the prior year tax return and adjust the expense?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15
gsa11
Level 3

Thanks!  And how did you manage to link to that one specific part of the page?  I don't know how to do that.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"And how did you manage to link to that one specific part of the page?"

The part on the left of the # is the URL (resource) and the part from the # is the indicator of a specific hypertext link (position). You can do it yourself: Remove the # and everything to the right of it = the Pub. Then, on the left, click on a hypertext reference, and you just created that same sort of reference (hot link) to that place in the text.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@gsa11    I did copy/paste of URL once I had the topic you needed on my screen.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS pubs don't really help with answers to California rules, do they?