Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you treat a rental that had a 1099C for the building.

shf1957
Level 7

Have a client that had a rental collected rent  but I see in Feb there was a 1099C for almost 100,000.   Then I also see another 1099C for almost the same amount on their personal home.  Been depreciating the rental... do treat it as it's SOLD for that? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

do they still have the home?  theres more to this story.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
shf1957
Level 7

Still kept the rental......and rented it all year...  ( 1099C is dated for early feb) and they plan to keep renting it.  I have depreciation going on it..... from prior years with a lot still left.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
so did they get some kind of loan modification? why the canceled debt?

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

can't find that out yet...   if not how do i treat it...  if so how do i treat it?

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

YES   loan modification.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Id start here

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

There is nothing here that indicates a sale happened. 1099-S is Sale. 1099-C is forgiven debt, but that doesn't drive if it is taxable.

You should find out what this is and don't make any assumptions. It can be Principal adjustment, and it might not even be taxable under whichever Federal plan allowed the adjustment. It could be the same lender and the same program on both properties. Or, it is likely two different programs, since one is primary residence and one is rental/investment property.

There are a bunch of Federal programs that include being extended for years now, that could be what happened here. HAMP, HARP, HOPE, PRA, HHF, UP, HAFA, etc.

These owners have paperwork somewhere and know their story. We don't know their story.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.