Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use 2 computers for taxes?

shf1957
Level 7

Help, I am a single preparer and have just had a building made by the Amish next to my home and want to use both locations for preparing taxes.  Due to covid,it'll all be drop offs.  I plan during the day to use the building location but in the evenings use my home.  How do I use both locations with 2 different computers?  OR do I have to just buy a laptop and move it back and forth?  I heard about THE CLOUD, but like the idea only of having the information stored on my computer and not up in the air. Please help, because I have to know what to do with in a short period of time.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Do you have a strong wifi signal to this gorgeous building? Otherwise the ethernet cable is a good choice. 

ashedfinished11.jpg

I would not lug a desktop computer, screen etc between locations. A good laptop would be a better choice. You can have two desktops and simply transfer files between them with a memory stick. 

Standalone allows the program on any number of computers, but they can not be networked. The data must be on one drive of each of the computers. It is strongly suggested that all finalizing be done on just one of the computers, i.e. final review and transmission and printing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can use PS standalone on two computers (at home, and in your other location) but you should only e-file from one location. 

shf1957
Level 7

what is PS standalone?  Is that a program? 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

You either pay for a network installation with 2 or more stations, or you buy standalone package. With the standalone, you can have multiple computers, but they are not networked.

You copy info from on computer to a memory stick or other portable device and transport it to the other computer. This is common. Primary work is done in the office, but using the portable drive you take work home to mess with it, and remember to bring that drive back to work the next day.

A laptop with a docking station is becoming popular. https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/how-to-connect-a-docking-station.html One Laptop that is used at multiple locations and can easily plug into the monitor(s), keyboard and printer(s) and scanners at each location. This is still a STANDALONE purchase.

dkh
Level 15

Nice looking building... I'm jealous

shf1957
Level 7

Thank you, I went just for a storage shed.. Then as we were designing it.. i added to it and keep adding to it.. and finally made it 2 full stories  with a nice back porch...insulated windows, doors, 32 foot by 14 foot.  so the upstairs was and is planned for my office.  I bought 9 full oak cabinets and beautiful laminated counter top... desk area built in .. all insulated, heated and electric power.   Just need to know how to use both my home and the Amish building for taxes.  See I have custody of a mentally disabled girl and sometimes ( alot of times) I can't concentrate in the house.. so would love to do most the work in my SheShed and then in the evenings back in my home and eflie them.  I am trying to understand the standalone system, what is needed to do this. Other wise I did buy 150 foot ethernet cable I could run inbetween buildings.. and carry my tower back and forth.. LOL  Any and all help would fully be appreciated.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Do you have a strong wifi signal to this gorgeous building? Otherwise the ethernet cable is a good choice. 

ashedfinished11.jpg

I would not lug a desktop computer, screen etc between locations. A good laptop would be a better choice. You can have two desktops and simply transfer files between them with a memory stick. 

Standalone allows the program on any number of computers, but they can not be networked. The data must be on one drive of each of the computers. It is strongly suggested that all finalizing be done on just one of the computers, i.e. final review and transmission and printing. 

dkh
Level 15

You will have two computers - SheShed computer and home computer.  Download your ProSeries program to each computer.  Use some type of external drive to store the client files so you can easily move from one location to another without going through the backup/restore process.   That's it. 

standalone just means you aren't networking the two computers 

edit:  George answered pretty much the same while I was typing this and then sidetracked talking to a client

dascpa
Level 11

I use a different method - keep main computer with all data in it.  Secondary location (2nd office, home, etc.) use remote software to log into main computer.  Used to use GoToMyPC before they quadrupled their price.  Last five years have used Splashtop.  For $60 per year it's the best remote access software I've ever seen.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@dascpa 

I'm using GoToMyPC for remote access, FTP, and a few other things to my office workstation. I started a conversation with a salesperson who didn't seem to know much about the product. So, I put in a support ticket with my q's   Hope this doesn't turn out to be Groundhog Day?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Thanks for the steer… their tech people responded to my question. Sadly, their product won’t fill my needs and I’m stuck with GoToMyPC for a while

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
RICHARD101
Level 2

Does the tax input info. record on the hard drive of the output computer (home computer) as well as the receiving computer (office computer), or just the receiving computer.

0 Cheers
RICHARD101
Level 2

Does the tax input info. record on the hard drive of the output computer (home computer) as well as the receiving computer (office computer) when using remote access.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Make your life easier. Leave all the data on your office computer. I use Splashtop for my remote login ($60 per year) and then from home I log into my office computer to do the work. Saves me from moving files back and forth. 

RICHARD101
Level 2

Got it, thanks. I was hoping to do same but wanted to print the client return copy from my home computer, and e-file from the office computer.

0 Cheers
RICHARD101
Level 2

Can you recommend an external portable drive to use thereby avoiding the backup/restore process?

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

If you're looking to hold your ProSeries data [only] on a portable drive it can be done, but it is not recommended.  The data would be secure but each computer has it's own HomeBase and you'll be screwing that up as well as the E-File HomeBase transferring the portable drive back and forth.

Either keep all your data on one computer, and remote login or do the backup and restore feature.

But I would only e-file from one machine.  It makes life a lot easier.  Not required but recommended.

RICHARD101
Level 2

Perfect, thanks for the response. I learned a lot.

0 Cheers
johnea
Level 3

get ready to be hit with double user licence fees 

Taxprohere
Level 7

Don't think you'll encounter double license problems because you don't have two main business locations.  I use my home laptop for WFH days and then transfer the data file via my Dropbox account. 

I have efiled from home too without any 'issues' from ProSeries but it is better to do that from your main location, keep Homebase from deceiving you!  And if it's a lengthy tax prep which you might be switching back and forth re locations, very important to keep track of the latest version...avoid overwriting the data file 😧!