Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i unlock a client after a power outage?

2873wheatland
Level 2

Using Pro Series 2017 in Windows 10.  Had a power outage with client file open which shut down my computer. Now it will not let me open, copy or delete client. Says it is locked by another user and I am the only user.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

Try this...

1. Go to HomeBase from the top menu (between Tools and Update)
  2. Click on HomeBase Tune-Up.
  3. Click Yes on the next window.
  4. ProSeries will close, click OK on the next window confirming the process is complete.
  5. ProSeries should open automatically.

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

Try this...

1. Go to HomeBase from the top menu (between Tools and Update)
  2. Click on HomeBase Tune-Up.
  3. Click Yes on the next window.
  4. ProSeries will close, click OK on the next window confirming the process is complete.
  5. ProSeries should open automatically.
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
Let us know if that resolves your issue. :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I had this happen to me once in Lacerte and the file was toast. I had to start over. I hope @Ashley aka Henry Jr. 's suggestions work.

Ex-AllStar
TAXOH
Level 11
I had to start over the one time it happened to me too.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Need to shorten the auto save time limit...then if a power outage occurs, at least you'll have a temporary file you can resurrect when you reopen the program again and you'll only lose entries between the last autosave and the time the power went out.
Mine is set to autosave every 2 minutes, I think the default is 10 minutes....you can lose a lot of information in 10 minutes!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15
Excellent advice. Mine happened so long ago I don't think we had autosave. Until we did, I hit Save after about every 2 or 3 entries after that.

Ex-AllStar
TAXOH
Level 11
It corrupted my whole file, even what had previously been saved.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Mine have always been able to be resurrected from the temp file when a power outage happens

0 Cheers
2873wheatland
Level 2
I do have mine on auto save every two minutes. The power outage happened within a minute of my transferring the client over from last year. I also have a battery back up but it didn't kick in fast enough. But thanks for replying!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Oh, within a minute of transferring over...so you didn't lose any of the client data....it just wont let you access the file or delete it so you can retransfer it or anything?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I had a lightning strike about 60 feet from my office years ago.  I had the individual module open in Lacerte.  It fried ALL the client names/ssn's/dependent info for the my entire data base.  As well as the printer port on my HP printer.  All of this despite UPS battery backups.  

Support was spectacular in trying to help, but to no avail.  Thank GOD for good/recent backups.  And thank god it didn't actually hit the building.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Jo
Level 1

Thank you.  It worked great and I was able to unlock  my client file.

0 Cheers
kel120159
Level 1

There is no Tune-up on HomeBase manu.

0 Cheers
Rhino1
Level 1

I do not have a TUNE-UP tab on Home base either for 2021?   ANy sugestions

0 Cheers