Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the Proseries Professional to put the correct amount on Line 1 of 2021 WI Schedule 1?

kdeerickson
Level 3

Line 15 of the worksheet for Line 1 of Wisconsin Schedule 1, page 4 of the Form 1, equals zero. Zero, according to the worksheet and the form instructions, should be what the software puts on Line 1 of Schedule 1 - Itemized Deduction Credit. That is NOT what the software is entering. It is putting the amount of allowed medical expenses from the federal Schedule A. I can override the amount and enter zero, but then Proseries will not allow the return to be e-filed. What am I missing? Thank you!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
kdeerickson
Level 3

Talked with Ashley on 2/17. She said I would be receiving an email with a fix. Still waiting Proseries...

0 Cheers
JXM
Level 2

I am encountering the same problem on the 2022 Wisconsin Schedule 1.  Amount calculated on the worksheet is zero, but the amount on Line 1 is the 1040 Schedule A amount.

Did you ever get a solution to the problem?  If not, did you have to file the state return on paper?

0 Cheers
kdeerickson
Level 3

No, Intuit never resolved it last year, and it appears to still be a problem this year! That and my full phone number won't print out on the third page of the Wisconsin Form 1 again this year. Ugh.

I had to file paper returns last year and will be doing so again this year.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

What are you trying to accomplish ? Are you trying to get the Itemized deduction credit? It is usually a very small credit if any, as you have to deduct the clients WI standard deduction from allowed itemized deduction, then multiply time 5%. WI allows you to take medical premiums as a subtraction from income on schedule SB, and that usually is a better outcome for your client. You can't take both (premiums included in medical, and subtraction from income)

JXM
Level 2

HI kdeerickson:

Good news is that I reached support and they escalated the case and have determined that it is an error and will have a fix in a future release.  This is their reply:

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to you in regards to your escalated case concerning Wisconsin Form 1 Schedule 1.

We have reported the calculation error to our tax development team so that they can issue a fix in a future release. In the meantime, you can override the line to the correct amount.

So it will be fixed, but not sure when.  I asked about having to file a paper return and they indicated I could override the incorrect amount and then turn off editing of the return for EFILE and it would then go through for filing.  That's not something to do without making sure there are no other errors on the return

Thanks for your reply.  I'm just glad they are getting the error fixed ... eventually.

0 Cheers
JXM
Level 2

I'm aware of how the Itemized Deduction credit is calculated.  There is an error in the way Line 1 of that schedule is calculated.  It should use the amount from the worksheet and it wasn't if the amount on line 15 was zero.  It was erroneously bringing over the amount from Schedule A and giving the tax client a credit for medical expenses that they weren't entitled to. Support has development working on a fix that will be included in a future release.  For now, I need to override the calculation and then turn off the error routine for EFILE so that I can file the return electronically.

0 Cheers