Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I finalize and submit an amended 2021 Virginia Form 760 in ProSeries?

davetodd11
Level 5
I amended a client's 2021 Form 1040.  The results of the amendment also affected the 2021 Virginia 760.  I followed the directions in the Intuit Help article "Amending an individual return (1040X) in ProSeries", dated 8/21/23.  The 1040-X was successfully submitted, but there is no indication of the amended Virginia return in the Homebase.

In Part V of the Virginia Information Worksheet, I selected the box "The state return will be filed electronically."  That section also acknowledges that the original return was E-filed on 3/13/22.  In Part IX I selected "You are filing a Virginia amended return" and Reason Code 03 ("Federal Return Amended or Adjusted").  

When I select EF Now from within the return, the Electronic Filing window pops up.  It shows the original federal and state returns, and the federal amended return, as Completed.  There is no separate line indicating an amended state return.  The EF Center shows the same status.

I've done the error check and within the Virginia return the system seems to know that it the amendment has been generated, but it's giving me no way to submit.  I'm assuming that the federal filing will not be reported to the state by the IRS, but I could be wrong.
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

While I am a Pro Series Basic user, I have never been able to electronically file an amended Virginia return.  If you look at the options for which states allow e-filed amended returns on the Information Worksheet, Virginia is not one of them.  Not sure if it is a VA issue or a Pro Series issue.

Anyway, I always paper file these amended returns.  

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

While I am a Pro Series Basic user, I have never been able to electronically file an amended Virginia return.  If you look at the options for which states allow e-filed amended returns on the Information Worksheet, Virginia is not one of them.  Not sure if it is a VA issue or a Pro Series issue.

Anyway, I always paper file these amended returns.  

davetodd11
Level 5

I see what you are saying - thanks.  It appears that Intuit still has their heads up their butts on this issue.  Apparently they did put the addition of this feature up for a vote back in November or December of this year, but since it wasn't widely publicized, I'm assuming they will take no action.  Why they wouldn't automatically include such a basic and widely useful feature is beyond me.  It may be time to switch back to Drake's tax software.

0 Cheers