Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I deduct Virginia 529 plan contributions in ProSeries

davetodd11
Level 5

My client contributes to Virginia 529 prepaid tuition plans for two grandchildren.  According to Virginia Dept of Tax, "Virginia Code § 58.1-322.03 7 a allows a deduction to the purchaser or contributor for the amount paid or contributed during the taxable year for a prepaid tuition contract or savings trust account entered into with the Virginia College Savings Plan. Generally, the amount deducted on any individual income tax return in any taxable year is limited to $4,000 per prepaid tuition contract or savings trust account."

However, I'm not finding anywhere in ProSeries to claim the contributions credit.  The only thing I see that's close is the 529 Contribution worksheet, but that one only allows contributions of overpayments available on the tax return.  Since the client is not receiving a refund from Virginia, the program is not allowing any amount to be claimed on that worksheet.

I thought maybe this would be done on the Other Subtractions Statement, but that one only has a line for plan distributions.

Where do I enter 529 plan contributions on the Virginia Form 760?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

VA is weird.  We have both Subtractions and Deductions, each with their own set of codes.  You're looking for a Deduction (code 104) instead of a Subtraction.  ProSeries does a decent job of this and should keep track of carryovers per plan.  Don't feel bad, I had the same problem the first time I tried to do one of these, "but I don't need it to come out of the refund, it's already been done!"

If "Deduction" is not enough of a breadcrumb try drilling down into VA Sch ADJ Line 8 (I no longer use PS so don't remember exactly where to go).

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
rbynaker
Level 13

VA is weird.  We have both Subtractions and Deductions, each with their own set of codes.  You're looking for a Deduction (code 104) instead of a Subtraction.  ProSeries does a decent job of this and should keep track of carryovers per plan.  Don't feel bad, I had the same problem the first time I tried to do one of these, "but I don't need it to come out of the refund, it's already been done!"

If "Deduction" is not enough of a breadcrumb try drilling down into VA Sch ADJ Line 8 (I no longer use PS so don't remember exactly where to go).

Rick

davetodd11
Level 5

Rick,

Thanks for the quick and helpful response.  I searched for "deductions" and found the 104 line on the Deductions Statement.