Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I deal with a 1099 misc that my client should not have received?

caroljo
Level 5
My client received a 1099 Misc that should have been given to her mother who has only Social security income.  The Mother has alzheimers and the company was doing some testing on her and her disease.  They paid her $1400 and sent my client the 1099 Misc. How do I handle this?
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

I would insist they fix this as it appears to be incorrect.

If that doesn't work, you can run the amount in/out on your client's return with an explanation (that won't be read, but documentation can help if an IRS letter appears).

It sounds like the $ 1400 wouldn't impact Mom's return, but that should be verified.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Have client contact the issuer and ask them to correct it.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

I would insist they fix this as it appears to be incorrect.

If that doesn't work, you can run the amount in/out on your client's return with an explanation (that won't be read, but documentation can help if an IRS letter appears).

It sounds like the $ 1400 wouldn't impact Mom's return, but that should be verified.

( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Whose SSN is on the 1099?  If his, why did he give it to them?

abctax55
Level 15

Bob.... 'cuz they asked?  Ignorance of the whole process?  Or maybe we are missing some info?

Good questions

( Generic Comment )"
caroljo
Level 5

My client's ss# is on the 1099.  She said she wondered why they were asking her for her number but just didn't argue about it.  

abctax55
Level 15

Given the circumstances and stress, I can understand not questioning. 

( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

I agree with Anna but good luck trying to get it fixed. My experience is that they throw up every type of Roadblock possible in order not to fix it. Why? Because the fool that made the mistake might end up in an unemployment line, that's why. Now it's time to go to sleep as it's past my bedtime. Good night.😴

BobKamman
Level 15

@caroljo Who drove Mom to the clinic?  Who monitored whether she was taking the medication / following the protocols?  Whose name was on the checks?  When a patient is not able to consent to care, should she qualify for any payment, or should the money instead go to the person who has to do the work to make sure there is no harm from participation?