Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change state in the asset entry worksheet for Airbnb property?

I am filling 1040 VA return, the TP has an Airbnb property in Florida. I can't change the state from VA to FL to remove FL income from VA return and allocate to FL state return. I am using Schedule C for to enter Airbnb income and expenses. Please help! Thank you!

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If theyre a VA resident,  VA is going to tax ALL income, then give credit for taxes paid to another state.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank you, Lisa! I am putting AIBNB on Schedule C, on VA return it is asking to select the county where the income was earned. I can't select any VA county as the income was earned in FL.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are you sure it belongs on a Sch C? 

How do VA residents offer "substantial services" to a short term rental in FL?   Most AIrBnBs are Sch E, only if you provide substantial services does it go on Sch C.

You may want ot google   substantial services for airbnb   and make sure youre classifying this rental properly...Im not sure how theyd provide substantial services from another state.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't know if this is something that VA Tax changed or something that ProSeries changed.  There used to be a code for "out of state" but I don't think they allow that anymore (which is pretty dumb since it can certainly apply!)  Drake has a code 300-Unassigned.  I don't know if you can find something similar.

That said, Lisa's probably right and this goes on Sch E.  I've certainly had clients with airbnb income who made the bed every morning and cooked breakfast for the guests, those go on Sch C.  But typically the guests are just renting space with no services provided.  I believe there was a recent court case or CCM that said cleaning BETWEEN guests does not constitute services.  The services have to be provided to the guest while they are staying at the property.

Thank you for both of you for taking time during a such busy season and responding.

0 Cheers