Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I back up clients to a USB drive?

RomeroTax77_12
Level 1

When I back up my 2022 ProSeries Basic tax returns to a USB drive, it transfers many DATfiles and CACHE files per client, in addition to 1 per client with the '22' icon, then when I click on the one with the '22' icon and try to restore the file, it automatically tries to open the client in ProSeries 2022 instead of ProSeries Basic where it was copies from.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"when I click on the one with the '22' icon and try to restore the file, it automatically tries to open the client in ProSeries 2022 instead of ProSeries Basic where it was copies from."

Open ProSeries Basic and use the Restore option in the program to restore to the Basic program.

When youre clicking on the file, thats not "restoring it" thats opening it and Professional  is set as the default for opening that file type...so I guess you could go in and set Basic to be the default program to open that file type, but I honestly cant walk you through that, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Easiest way for me is to navigate to the directory where you have your data files stored, and simply copy the file you wish to the thumb drive.

If you Copy it back someday, or wish to access it from the thumb drive, you will likely need to run some "homebase maintenance" functions, not sure exactly the correct term, as it has been a while.