Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do grandparents raising grandchildren claim the SSA income?

And another question today...... couldn't find it by searching so here goes.....

Grandparents have been raising two grandchildren, have guardianship.  One is an adult with disabilities who receives SSA income. The second just turned 18 in 2022 and received a partial year of SSA.  Do I still input this income on the grandparent's form? Or is it better to do separate returns for each grandchild? 

I feel like I should know this, but so much going on with this situation and just want to be extra sure. 

Thanks everyone!! 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

They do not go on the grandparents returns and if that is the kids only income and there is no withholding tax they do not have to even file a federal return. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

They do not go on the grandparents returns and if that is the kids only income and there is no withholding tax they do not have to even file a federal return. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I feel like I should know this"

Yes you should but lucky for you Jim does know it 😉

Slava Ukraini!

Thank you, Jim, that's what I thought, but was worried I was missing something! Appreciate you taking the time to answer. 🙂 

IRonMan,

Nailed it!! 😎