Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I correct the mistake of Filing Status form Independent to dependent

taxdada
Level 2

JP is the Father and VP is the son just 18 years and a student in 12th grade. Son had an income of about 2000 and to get his refund I filed his tax return but forgot to mark as dependent and is claimed by his father. I filed his tax return first which is accepted and then I filed Father's tax return which is rejected. Father has LOW income and getting EIC. How Can I correct the son's FILED and ACCEPTED tax return?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
nope, you cant cancel a transmitted return any easier that you can retrieve a letter dropped into a public mailbox and superseded returns need to be mailed in, EF the 1040X would still be quicker.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

You will need to amend son's return.    Just type in explanation you inadvertently missed marking he was dependent. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
This wont be a quick fix, amended returns, even EFiled ones are still taking many months to be processed...but its your only option.

In the future, always file the parents return first in these kinds of situations.

taxdada
Level 2

Thanks. Do you know something about SUPERSEDED return - that is to accept NEW return and a request to CANCEL the previously e-filed return ?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
nope, you cant cancel a transmitted return any easier that you can retrieve a letter dropped into a public mailbox and superseded returns need to be mailed in, EF the 1040X would still be quicker.