Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home sale/ trailer home sale

MGC94
Level 7

Taxpayer, Taxpayers spouse, and taxpayers parent (dependent who is on disability and AGI is under 5k) sold their main home which happens to be a trailer (car title) in a trailer park where they paid lot rent.

They said it was in all 3 of their names. How would I go about doing this? 

Does the taxpayers parent have to file 1/3 of the sale and not be a dependent on the return? 

Even though it a car title and there is no 1099-S form can they still get the home sale exclusion? 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Assuming all 3 of them were required to sign to release title and a check was made out to all 3 of them, then YES all 3 of them need to report their 1/3 of the proceeds. My expectation would be that all 3 of them qualify for exclusion and will have no net gain to report on the sale of their personal residence. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

Sold at a profit?  That's one to send  Ripley, unless it had been a rental and fully depreciated before they moved in.  

MGC94
Level 7

If they all 3 qualify for the exclusion what do I do? There was no gain with the exclusion. 

I just am wondering if the dad has to get off as a dependent

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you are SURE there is no 1099-S and it will be fully excluded, you don't need to report it at all for Federal income tax purposes.  But perhaps the State or other things could be different.

Or you can report the sale (Home Sale Worksheet), where you enter the Basis, the Sale Price and then exclude the gain.

sjrcpa
Level 15

"I just am wondering if the dad has to get off as a dependent"

Why?

"There was no gain with the exclusion"

No gain? Or no taxable gain?

As Bob noted, it is rare to sell a mobile home at a gain.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa Maybe he's worried about the Dad not qualifying as a dependent because his income would be too high.  And maybe this is a situation where the park owner paid off the owners to haul the scrap metal away so some real homes could be built on the property.