Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOH

MGC94
Level 7

Can taxpayer claim his dad? 

Taxpayer is 50 owns the house and pays all the bills. He makes about $60K

The dad makes $80,000 with pension and social security he is retired 80 years old 

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
BobKamman
Level 15

No

IRonMaN
Level 15

Seriously, you can't figure that one out on your own?  

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If I remember correctly,  you took this business over for a relative that passed and you kind of got dropped in over your head, but this is very basic Tax 101.

You're doing your clients a disservice to be in the dark over basics like this.

Do you have ANY reference books on your desk to look up these kinds of things? 

or even Googling   Who Qualifies For Head of Household

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

A copy of the 1040 instructions?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The business was inherited in October 2022.  It doesn't take five months to learn filing status.  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Sometimes statuses can be a bit tricky but you really need to have some reference materials on hand or even google is a wonderful thing. In order to learn, you must look up these things for yourself instead of the easy answer. 

Or ask here for the reference and someone will point you in the right direction. I try to research myself but sometimes I need a little direction. 

MGC94
Level 7

Thank you. Is there a cut off for the income? How come some parents can be claimed? Is it only if they have social security and nothing else? 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Several people have answered your question.   Bob Kamman told you No.   Others answered:   use some reference material to figure this out for yourself.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Publication 501 has some good material about who can claim Head of Household and the details about qualifying as a dependent.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

LOL

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

so does pub 17 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here is a resource page to bookmark. It is Wizards. The IRS calls them Interactive Tax Assistant. You will see topics such as "What is my filing status?" and "Who may I claim as a dependent?"

By the way, "you" and the client's info, are the I in this process.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

I highly recommend that you take tax courses. The questions you ask are basic and would be known by any 1st year preparer who has been educated in tax law. Please take the time to accumulate reference materials and get the required tax training. 

We are here to help but not to train or do your research for you.

JCT1
Level 4

Bob Kamman told you no, and that's final.  He's not only the author of the entire Internal Revenue Code, but also the self-declared emperor king of this band of cyber-bullies on here.  You need to have far more knowledge than you obviously have to advise clients, but I advise you to also be aware of the petty, insecure cyber-tyrants on this forum, the Intuit-paid, minimum wage assassins out to gang up on those who dare express dissent against a tax software which continues to be unreliable as its costs skyrocket....

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

A 6-months dead topic doesn't need a personal diatribe that has no bearing on the topic you resurrected.

If you can't be part of the solution, perhaps you are being part of the problem.

"the Intuit-paid, minimum wage assassins"

Whoa; you get paid?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.