Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head of Household error

crk
Level 2

On the Federal Information Worksheet, Part II, Filing Status, I selected HOH.  I didn't list a child's name or social security number because the child is a dependent.  Instructions indicate list the child's name IF NOT dependent.  However, this causes an error that will not allow efiling if left blank.

How can I clear the errors?  Please help.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brainstrom
Level 4

This also happened to me. I selected single, deleted the dependent information and saved the client. Go out of the client and go back in. Enter the dependent information back in, go up and check the HOH. The error went away

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Enter the dependent info, if that error still persists, uncheck the HOH box and check Single, the error should disappear, then you can recheck the HOH box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
crk
Level 2

I have the dependent info entered in Part III.  I unclicked HOH, clicked Single, unclicked Single, and then reclicked HOH.  Same errors occur.  The only thing I have found that clears the errors is to unclick e-filing for Fed & State.  I would like to e-file the returns.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Do you have all the information entered for the dependent......

Number of months lived with taxpayer ?

Dependent code:  L,N,O or Q ?

0 Cheers
Brainstrom
Level 4

This also happened to me. I selected single, deleted the dependent information and saved the client. Go out of the client and go back in. Enter the dependent information back in, go up and check the HOH. The error went away

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

At first glance, it seems to be a problem with the dependent.  Is the dependent showing up as a dependent on the 1040?

0 Cheers
crk
Level 2

I have all information for the dependent entered.

0 Cheers
crk
Level 2

Brainstorm.....

Thanks so much!

Apparently the order of input is critical - dependent info needs to be entered PRIOR to checking HOH even though checking HOH comes first on the data entry screen.