Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone figured out how to claim the Montana Adoption Credit signed this year retroactive for 2022?

Shawnwatt
Level 2

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

While the 2202.310 update was released a day after the Governor signed that law, I don't see this was in the update released. I searched on "adopt" and "child" and got 0 hits.

https://prodldfp.proseries.com/pro/2022/readme/readmti.htm

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Shawnwatt
Level 2

That is exactly what I thought. I will just sit tight and hope for an update.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I don't see an update to MT 2 on the MT DOR website. Intuit can't act on something not yet released by the State. It has to be done on Form 2 by amendment (we don't have a 2X), since it is retroactive and only applies to adoptions finalized on or after July 1, 2022, but it was signed in May 2023, after the filing deadline for most people for tax year 2022.

0 Cheers
Shawnwatt
Level 2

"Our new Montana Adoption Credit form will be available and your software provider will have it for the 2023 filing season. You can tell your 2022 credit-eligible clients that they can apply for the credit on their 2023 Montana state income tax return. Any adoption finalized between July 1, 2022 and December 31, 2023 will potentially be eligible for the credit in 2023. Taxpayers will need to provide (along with the adoption credit form) court documents or other proof of the adoption; or, in the cases of foster care adoptions, a certification letter from our Department of Health and Human Services.

We will have an updated webpage with this information by the end of the month. Thanks for your patience and have a good weekend."

This was the Response from the MDOR. 

Shawnwatt
Level 2

"Our new Montana Adoption Credit form will be available and your software provider will have it for the 2023 filing season. You can tell your 2022 credit-eligible clients that they can apply for the credit on their 2023 Montana state income tax return. Any adoption finalized between July 1, 2022 and December 31, 2023 will potentially be eligible for the credit in 2023. Taxpayers will need to provide (along with the adoption credit form) court documents or other proof of the adoption; or, in the cases of foster care adoptions, a certification letter from our Department of Health and Human Services.

We will have an updated webpage with this information by the end of the month. Thanks for your patience and have a good weekend."

This was the Response from the MDOR. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You know which line it goes on and feeds into, so you might try a manual override and see if it throws an error.

"Any adoption finalized between July 1, 2022 and December 31, 2023 will potentially be eligible for the credit in 2023"

Well, that's why they have RMA (rule making authority) = they can decide to accept 18 months as the eligible timeframe. Thanks for the update.

0 Cheers