Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graduate School educational grant

Greta
Level 9

Johns Hopkins medical graduate student submitted to me the 12/31/21 stub for $39,000, insisting that no W-2 or 1099 is issued for it. Additionally she received a 1098T that shows different amounts, with scholarship greater than tuition by 5K. I put the 39K on Wages worksheet as other income. It appeared on line 7. Now the IRS sent her a letter asking how she came up with the line 7 amount (which also included husband's W-2). Was the 39K subject to social security tax as well? Not sure how to handle a stub-only document.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

Not all scholarships or fellowships make it on to a 1098-T, W-2, 1099 or anything else - other than a letter.  I have two students who got full ride scholarship (room, board, tuition, etc.) and all we have in both cases is just a letter.  One from Stanford and one from University of Maryland - neither of small schools.  Sometimes we just have to deal with what we have.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
GodFather
Level 8

I have never entered information from a stub onto a tax return.  I'm not suggesting my way is right, I'm just stating a fact in my specific case. I would have asked for the client to try and obtain a copy of the the W2 from the employer in order to determine exactly how the wages were reported.  Is it possible she was a statutory employee?  

Why wouldn't the $39K be subject to social security tax?  

I personally would not handle a stub only document.

dascpa
Level 11

Research scholarships and fellowships and how to enter.  You'll find that going thru the Student Education Worksheet taxable amounts will transfer to the Wages line with a SCH noted on that line.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I agree with @GodFather I would need to see a 1099 or W2

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Not all scholarships or fellowships make it on to a 1098-T, W-2, 1099 or anything else - other than a letter.  I have two students who got full ride scholarship (room, board, tuition, etc.) and all we have in both cases is just a letter.  One from Stanford and one from University of Maryland - neither of small schools.  Sometimes we just have to deal with what we have.