Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error message on charitable contribution entry

jwb1040
Level 1

Single filer who does not itemize. I'm trying to enter a charitable contribution amount and I get an error message regardless of what I enter "Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value." If I leave it blank, I get that error message. If I enter $150, I get an error message. Am I missing a flag setting somewhere else?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
dkh
Level 15

Are you entering this information on Schedule A in the Cash Contribution Smart Worksheet ?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont use Basic, but in Professional we have to enter the figure in 2 boxes....do you see something similar to this in the 1040 worksheet?

300charity.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jwb1040
Level 1

Basic looks exactly the same. If I have no entries on the cash contributions smart worksheet, no errors. As soon as I enter a description and amount on the contributions worksheet, it flows to line 10a of 1040. Then line 10b (which is blank) is highlighted (in pink on my screen) indicating an error. If I enter $150, it calculates for a couple seconds and then gives an error message that there is an unacceptable value in 10b. I tried numerous amounts, all under $150, even tried entering "0" and it tells me I have an unacceptable value but it doesn't tell me what is unacceptable about it, i.e., too high, too low, etc. I'm thinking I should probably delete the file and start over.

0 Cheers
jwb1040
Level 1

Yes I am. If I have no entries on the cash contributions smart worksheet, no errors. As soon as I enter a description and amount on the contributions worksheet, it flows to line 10a of 1040. Then line 10b (which is blank) is highlighted (in pink on my screen) indicating an error. If I enter $150, it calculates for a couple seconds and then gives an error message that there is an unacceptable value in 10b. I tried numerous amounts, all under $150, even tried entering "0" and it tells me I have an unacceptable value but it doesn't tell me what is unacceptable about it, i.e., too high, too low, etc.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Do they have enough to itemize or not?

0 Cheers
jwb1040
Level 1

No, they do not itemize.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"As soon as I enter a description"

Description of what? This is for Cash/money only.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

You have to enter the contributions in Sched A so it will flow to line 10a and then you enter the allowed amount on 10b                   if you don't have contributions - try deleting Ctrl+W the Sched A   see if that fixes your error

0 Cheers
jwb1040
Level 1

I was referring to the contributions worksheet. You enter a description (or recipient) and then an amount.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I just plunk it in on the 10a/10b lines, no Sch A unless theyre itemizing.

0 Cheers